Wednesday, December 31, 2014

An Armchair Quarterback Comments from the Sideline

Have you ever wondered what it takes to put on a marathon?  How do you plan the route?   How much water should you stock? Do you know how many Port-a-Potties you will need?


Hint:  This is NOT enough!



These are questions many runners probably never even think about, even in the daze of mile 18 of 26.2 miles (unless said runner was searching for a toilet--ahem).  


Jim Chaney is the race director for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Marathon, which also offers a half marathon, team relay, and 5k race. Anyone involved in the running community in Ohio (and even outside Ohio) knows Jim for his active participation in every running group around these parts. He has timed races, organized races, and volunteered at races.I think I’ve seen him at every local race I’ve ever run. Of course, I’ve seen him from WAY BEHIND because he is a pretty fast runner.


Most impressive (to me), he has paced the marathon for Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.


Try telling this guy he's only got another 5k to go. . . Yeah.





Just think about that for a second: Somebody who is zen enough to guide a rocker known for being somewhat crazy on- and off-stage must have the capacity to maintain ultimate calm in the midst of race directing. This is my impression of Jim Chaney.


This isn't my impression of Jim Chaney. . . this is actually Jim Chaney.


Who am I? I am a typical, middle-of-the-pack, recreational runner. My name is Stephani. I am a mother, wife, teacher, and runner. . . not necessarily in that order. I blog at Run away from Trouble.  Normally I write about what I’ve learned about myself through running (and how it saves my sanity), but this year I want to learn more about what happens behind the scenes of a race, and that’s why I contacted Jim.


This isn't my impression of me. . . this is actually me.

In the hour I spent drinking coffee with Jim, I learned so much about organizing a race that my head is still spinning, and that is without the details. In the weeks leading to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Marathon events (April 24-26), I plan to sneak a peak behind the scenes of this race. I want to know what a race director does, why this race is even important (Why bother with all the work? Yeesh!), and finally, how a race director calculates Port-a-Pottie needs. What? I'm not joking.

Follow me on this journey, Friends. It starts with one click--register for the Pro Football Hall of Fame marathon, half marathon, or team relay, and we will train together. I'm going to rock the relay (a first for me!), and I expect you to rock your race.

Like what you read? Follow us on Twitter:

@itibrout
@HOFmarathon


No comments:

Post a Comment