Tuesday, February 24, 2015

How to Run the Relay for the #HOFMarathon

Because I've never run a relay before, and because I am a WEE BIT neurotic, I am starting to worry about the how-to's of running as a relay team.  What time should I arrive?  Where do I go?  Where do my team mates go?  What happens after my leg is over?  What do I do to pass the time while I'm waiting for my team?  How do I get my medal?

Before I could make myself crazy, I had a meeting with Jim Chaney, Race Director of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Marathon, and I made him crazy instead.  I have the answers I need, and now I'm going to explain the details to you, Dear Runner, using my own relay team, Beast Mode 5.  Does our name frighten you?  No?!

The relay covers the whole marathon course, and it's divided into five legs.  Runners will pass a slap bracelet, which has an embedded timing chip, at each exchange.  That sounds very James Bond-ish, doesn't it?

I am Leg #1, 10k or 6.2 miles:

Hello, Friends!
All team runners should be at the start of the race (specifically to cheer for me, of course).  The roads will be closed, and the last shuttle will leave Belden Village Mall at around 6:30 am, so all runners must be present at the beginning.  When the gun goes off, so do I, and I plan to run my little heart out until I get to the first exchange, 6.2 miles later.  When the race starts, the other team members can get into position; of course, some will have more time than others.  Runner #2 will need to take a shuttle to the first exchange.

Runner #2, 5k or 3.1 miles,  is Brad:

As you can see, Brad took his picture from his spread at GQ.


Brad will take the shuttle (which is about a ten minute ride) to meet up with me.  Since I am the slowest runner on our team, he may need to wait a while.  Sorry, Brad!  If the weather is a bit chilly, as it can be in April in Ohio, Brad can wear his cast-off clothing (He can even rent it for a buck at the Expo!) and discard it when I pass the bracelet.  Volunteers from Refuge of Hope will collect the donated clothing, so Brad doesn't have to worry about littering.

When I arrive at the exchange point, there will be water, Port-o-Potties, and my Finisher's Blanket, for which I will be super-grateful when my core temperature starts rapidly dropping.  I will then take the shuttle back to the stadium to wait for the other members of our relay team.  I'll have to do it quickly, though, because Brad's a speedy runner.


Runner #3, 5k or 3.1 miles, is Michael:


If you see this runner coming up behind you, GET OUT OF THE WAY!  He WILL mow you down.


Michael will walk a block or so from the stadium to the exchange point where Brad will pass him the bracelet.  I will have sufficiently recovered by then (I hope), so I will welcome the opportunity to stretch my legs a bit and cheer on Brad and Michael.  Brad will get some water and collect his Finisher's Blanket when he arrives at the exchange point, and we will have just enough time to complain about the weather and then walk to the next exchange point to witness Michael passing the bracelet to our next runner.

Runner #4, 12.2k or 7.6 miles, is Mandy:
I LOVE this pic.  This is Mandy as a badass trail runner.

Mandy will only need to walk a block or so from the Stadium  to meet up with Michael, and he will be there lickety-split because 5k's are HIS THING.  We will all be there to cheer him in and send off Mandy.  Mandy's course will take her to Perry High School, so our Runner #5 will have to take the shuttle to the exchange point to meet her.  When Mandy arrives at Perry High School, she can get some water and she will receive her Finisher's Blanket.  Then she needs to take the shuttle back to the stadium for our Grand Finish.

Runner #5, 10k or 6.2 miles, is Joy:


In this picture, Joy is high-fiving a ghost.
Joy will take the shuttle to Perry High School and then tear up the road on the way back to the stadium, where we will all be waiting for her.  Run, Joy, run!

Something new this year, and something I really appreciate, is that Relay Teams will be allowed to finish together.  This way we can join Joy as she crosses the finish line.  Maybe we can hold hands and sing "Kumbaya"  or something.

When we finish the race, Joy gets her Finisher's Blanket, we all collect our medals, we grab some food and water, and we bask in the glow of a collective runner's high.

Some things to remember:

Get to the parking lot in plenty of time.

There will be water and Port-o-Potties at all the exchanges.  Do not worry.

You will collect your Finisher's Blanket at each exchange.

You will collect your medal at the end of the race (26.2 miles).  If you choose not to run in with your team, the last runner receives all the medals to distribute to the team.

Hello, Beautiful!


I'd like to thank Jim Chaney for explaining all of this to me.  He was so patient, especially when he would pause so I could type this info into my phone using only my index finger.  I have Fred Flinstone thumbs.  Don't judge.

What would you like to know about the Pro Football Hall of Fame race events?  Leave your questions in the comments, and I'll be glad to find the answers for you.

Like what you read?  Follow me on Twitter @itibrout!






No comments:

Post a Comment